After the success of our Wheel of the Year series of mini-competitions, and the wonderful pamphlet we drew from the winning entries, From Hallows to Harvest, we're holding another year-round series of themed competitions, leading to publication in a special, limited pamphlet based around the Ogham tree alphabet.
Ogham Tree Competitions
Although we know the Ogham alphabet was developed in Ireland over 1,700 years ago, we're indebted to the poet, Robert Graves, for popularising its connections with Druids and the cycles of the year.
For our competition, chosen 12 ogham characters, to take us through a whole year, together with their associated trees and commonly held meanings:
- BIRCH (B) — New beginnings;
- ROWAN (L) — Guardianship;
- ALDER (F) — Looking to the future;
- WILLOW (S) — The moon, its rhythms and tides;
- ASH (N) — Linking worlds: communication;
- HAWTHORN (H) — Transformation: enchantment and change;
- OAK (D) — Strength, courage and resilience;
- HOLLY (T) — Challenge and energy;
- HAZEL (C) — Intuition, insight and wisdom;
- APPLE (Q) — Healing and regeneration;
- IVY (G) — Persistence, fortitude; and
- ELDER (R) — Endings and the beginnings they become.
What We're Looking For
We're looking for highly taut, compressed poetry in very short form of no more than 60 words and a maximum of 15 lines. How you interpret each character/tree/meaning/month is entirely up to you — let your imagination and instinct guide you.
Submissions and Deadline
Submissions are open for each of the 12 letters/trees for a full year and the final deadline for the whole competition is 30 September, 2019.
- Singled entries are £4;
- 4 entries: £10; and
- 12 entries: £24
Multiple entries on a single Ogham character/tree, or several, are welcome but feel free to send us your complete cycle of 12.
Good luck and we're looking forward to reading your entries.
- All entries must be previously unpublished.
- Please include your name and a contact email with each submission.
- Entries must be sent online, using the form below. Include all of your submitted pieces in a single file, clearly indicating which Ogham tree(s)/letter(s) each piece is inspired by. All submitted work should be in .docx, .doc, or .rtf file formats.
- Payments can be made using PayPal from each individual competition page.
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- We regret we are unable to offer feedback on individual submissions.
- Results will be sent individually to all winners and runners up and published on the Cinnamon website within 6–8 weeks of the competition's closing date.
Any questions, please get in touch.
Past Results & Winners
Wheel of the Year Competitions
The winners of this special, rolling series of competitions were:
- Patricia Helen Wooldridge;
- Chris Considine;
- Donna Kirstein;
- Gabriel Griffin;
- Nigel Hutchinson;
- Ama Bolton;
- Derek Sellen;
- Gail Ashton;
- Karen Robbie;
- Rachel Spence;
- Sarah Watkinson;
- Steve Xerri;
- Vasiliki Albedo;
- Nicola Warwick;
- Fiona Owen;
- Ali Jones;
- David Olsen;
- Mary Oliver; and
- Olivia Walwyn.