Writing Down Deep
an Alchemy of the Writing Life
by Jan Fortune
Writing Down Deep: an Alchemy of the Writing Life is the first release from Down Deep Books. Over three years in the making, this book is for writers, at all levels, who want to dive deeply into their creative flow. It's a book about fostering creativity and imagination, a book that believes in the power of writing and imagination to affect individuals and the world.
It has five main sections that are interspersed around shorter, seasonal sections.
- Section 1, 'Craving the Writing Life', is an introduction to our motivation as writers and the power of story.
- Section 2, 'The Mind-set of the Writer', explores how we build on this to establish an evolving practice of writing, from how we keep in touch with the subconscious writer to how we keep on writing and improving.
- This leads into Section 3, 'The Evolution of Your Writing Process', in which we'll examine more of the mechanics of writing and deepening our writing lives.
- Section 4, 'Embodying the Writing Life', takes all of this and anchors it in the physical world and in your own embodiment of your writing.
- Section 5, 'Writing the Soul', looks at how creativity, imagination, wonder and personal mythology transform both the work we do and the people we become as writers, body and soul.
- Section 6, 'Writing Your Story', brings the themes of the book together: what story do you want to write? What story do you want to become?
The book is packed with prompts, inspiration and writing exercises. These are not mechanical or 'how to' exercises but aimed at challenging us to dig deeply into our writing processes and writing lives. Woven throughout are seasonal pauses to help you design your own writing retreats.
Whether you're a poet or a novelist, a short story writer or a blogger or life writer, Writing Down Deep: an Alchemy of the Writing Life is the ideal companion on your quest to push the boundaries of your craft.
Jan has written a blog about the genesis of Down Deep Books and Writing Down Deep.
Out now, you can get Writing Down Deep in two splendid editions: